Thursday, June 30, 2005

Preparations

I haven't updated this blog much recently because in a bid to reduce my spending, I have been staying at home. So I usually just help out a little with the housework in the mornings, then spend the afternoons reading, watching TV, playing some computer games, or just sleeping.

How terribly unexciting.

I did play badminton with some of my friends on Wednesday. It was pretty enjoyable, and a good workout, though my right arm is aching now. I also ran on Monday and Tuesday night, so I'm pretty satisfied with my level of physical activity this week.

I've been calling the travel agent once a day for the past 3 days because they send their itineraries by e-mail, and when I wanted to leave depended on whether I was flying direct to Montreal or stopping over in Vancouver. Anyway, after 3 days of phone calls and e-mails back and forth, it's all sorted out now, and I'll be leaving for Vancouver on the 19th of August. After spending the weekend with my aunt over there, I'll head to Montreal. So that leaves me with about 7 weeks in Singapore. I'm not too sure if I'll be heading back here after my term ends in April or if I'll just go to Vancouver and stay with my aunt, so I might be away for a year and a half or so before I come back to Singapore.

I plan to clean up my room next week. My army gear is still in my duffel bag which is dumped in a corner of my room. I'll probably take everything out and wash the bag before packing everything in nicely again since the bag has been collecting dust since... a very long time ago.

After that I'll probably start packing for Canada already. Somehow I don't feel overly excited or apprehensive about my departure. I'm not sure why I'm not looking forward to this, though I am not reluctant to go either. Whatever it is, I seem to be taking my time about my preparations for going overseas. Stuff like my exit permit, PR documentation and the like. Most of the stuff has been done now though. I've gotten the exit permit, and my PR documentation is more or less done, but that's about all.

When I see my friends who are studying locally, they seem to have so many things to do - decide which halls they want to stay in, send in their hostel applications, sign up for hall orientation, sign up for faculty orientation, and a whole list of other stuff. It's just a little unsettling that everyone seems to be gearing up for university, and I don't feel as if I am.

Maybe I'll feel the buzz that everyone seems to get about starting school again when I arrive in Canada and move in to my university residence.

Right now, I just feel like I'm missing out on stuff, and everyime my friends talk about things regarding universiry, I feel so left out.

No comments: