Monday, July 11, 2005

Why?

A Red Lion had an accident during the NDP rehearsal on Saturday, and news spread pretty quickly among my friends who were Commandos during our NS days. Hearing the reports on TV brought back memories of my own botched landing during a night jump that I executed. I could still distinctly remember thinking "Oh no, I'm not in my landing position yet!" just a split second before hitting the tarmac in the darkness.

As one of my good friends observed, it's weird that we still seem to crave information about our unit, even though we longer are in active service. Everytime something happens regarding the Commandos, we always want to know everything about the incident. There always seems to be a lingering concern, despite my telling myself and my friends that I couldn't care less. I think deep down, I do care.

I ask myself why, and I don't know the answer. Despite the empty and broken promises that were made, despite the ill-feeling that built up during our last months in service, the concern remains.

No comments: