Monday, April 18, 2005

The whole Japan-China row

There's an on-going row between Japan and China right now over some textbooks which Japan have approved for use in their schools. China claims that it overlooks certain atrocities committed by the Japanese during World War 2 and is thus unhappy with Tokyo's approval of the textbooks.

I don't know what's exactly in the textbooks, but I believe that Beijing certainly has grounds to be unhappy with the situation. But, I also believe that allowing your citizens to damage Japanese owned/linked businesses and what not, and refusing to apologise for it is not exactly neighbourly conduct either. China has its own violent past too, and I'd be surprised if this wasn't underplayed in their own history textbooks.

Some other thoughts from my friends, Adrian, and another of my friends' blogs, justhought. Another article from The Young Republic, here.

No comments: