Saturday, August 06, 2005

Am I coming back?

I still haven't really decided whether I am looking forward to leaving Singapore in about 2 and a half weeks' time. If I were just leaving for my education, and knew that I'd be coming back after 4 years, I'd probably be looking forward to leaving. But my enthusiasm is somewhat dampened by the fact that in 4 years' time, I might not have very much to come back to at all. I've been asked by many people on many occasions whether I am looking forward to going abroad to study, and my honest answer is, I really don't know.

My friends often ask if I'm coming back after I'm done with my education, and my answer is once again, my customary "I don't know".

I don't know because I'm uncertain whether or not we're leaving this place for good. For how long am I going to be saying good-bye to my friends and relatives, to this place I call home? Even if I wanted to, I might not have very much to come back to after I've completed my university education because my family would probably have all made the move to Canada by then.

Ask me again in another year or 2, and my answer would probably have changed. After I've settled, and after I've had a taste of what life is really like in Canada, and I'll probably be more certain of where my future lies, and what I intend to do.

If you ask me now, and if I had to give an answer, I'd say I'd want to come back after I'm done with my university education. But you'd have to bear in mind that it's highly possible that my answer would change in a few years. That's the best answer I can give at this point in time.

No comments: